Causes of fatty liver:- When the human liver contains excessive or extra amounts of fat, then it is known as fatty liver. When the amount of fat in the liver gets superfluous, then it can cause liver inflammation. It is one of the major causes of fatty liver that can damage the liver quickly and create scarring.
Sometimes this scarring, cause of fatty liver, becomes the reason for liver failure. If someone takes alcohol exceedingly, then it is called an alcoholic fatty liver disease that is also known as AFLD.
Causes Of Fatty Liver | Explained
The liver is the largest organ in the human body. When fat builds up in the liver, then it is known as fatty liver. There are two types of fatty liver disease which are ALFD, alcoholic fatty acid disease, and NAFLD that we know as Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
We know ALFD or Alcoholic fatty liver disease as alcoholic steatohepatitis also. Usually, we can’t easily realize that we have got the fatty liver disease as this disease has fewer symptoms. But if you have this disease, you must feel tired or feel discomfort in the upper right side of your abdomen.
Role Of Liver in Human’s Body
Some chemical levels are regulated in the liver that assists to carry away the waste products. Then the blood of the stomach and intestines passes through the liver so that it can process that blood. There are many roles of the liver in the human body. Here, we have given some of these liver functions which are as follows:-
- The liver produces bile so that it can carry all the wastes and break down these into the small intestine during digestion
- It also creates cholesterol and specific proteins for blood plasma.
- It assists to convert the extra amount of glucose into glycogen for storage.
Causes Of Fatty Liver Full Details
Usually, the main causes of fatty liver are diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and dyslipidemia. However, there are also many causes of fatty liver.
- Alcohol: It is one of the main causes of fatty liver. It occurs for the production of toxic metabolites such as aldehydes.
- Metabolic: Metabolic syndromes are also the causes of fatty liver. For this, we can see glycogen storage diseases, Weber–Christian disease, acute fatty liver of pregnancy, lipodystrophy, etc.
- Nutritional: Obesity, total parenteral nutrition, severe weight loss, malnutrition, refeeding syndrome, jejunoileal bypass, can occur for the lack of nutrition that is one of the causes of fatty liver.
- Drugs and toxins: Amiodarone, diltiazem, glucocorticoids, tamoxifen, environmental hepatotoxins, are the name of some drugs that can cause fatty liver. These are also one of the major causes of fatty liver
- Other: Besides, celiac disease, HIV, hepatitis C and some of them are the causes of fatty liver.
Effects of Fatty Liver on Human’s Health
If someone has an extra amount of fat in their liver, then they have to face this fatty liver disease. Usually, for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, you can’t get any effect, especially any signs or symptoms. But still, if you have this disease, you can feel tired and discomfort. Here, we have given ten effects of fatty liver on human health.
- You can feel pain in the upper right abdomen that is the most common sign of fatty liver.
- It can affect abdominal swelling.
- You can experience enlarged blood vessels under the skin’s surface.
- Besides, you can get red palms, yellow skin, and eyes.
- High cholesterol, High levels of triglycerides in the blood, Metabolic syndrome, obesity, Polycystic ovary syndrome can also be seen.
- You can get Sleep apnea, Type 2 diabetes.
- You can also experience liver cancer although it is very rare.
- Inflammation and scarring are also one of the effects of fatty liver disease.
- Apart from this, the number of ascites get increased.
- Fatty liver disease can also affect the swelling of veins in the esophagus.
Diagnosis of Fatty Liver
Fatty liver disease is very serious. So it should be diagnosed. Here are some diagnosis processes.
- Doctors usually see the medical history of the patient and conduct a physical test.
- They can also ask the family history of liver disease if any.
- They will ask if the patient takes any alcohol or he has any other lifestyle habits.
- In the case of liver inflammation, the doctor will press on your abdomen to feel the enlarged liver.
- The patient may need to go for blood tests like the alanine aminotransferase test (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase test (AST) so that the doctor can check the liver enzymes.
- Doctors can also recommend daily tests. And if they see liver inflammation, then the patient may undergo some extra tests.
- An ultrasound test can be a good choice in this case.
- MRI scans and CT scans are some tests that doctors can suggest to test.
- Patients can go for a liver biopsy to know the main cause of fatty liver.
- At the time of liver biopsy, a needle will be inserted into the liver. And after that, you can get a local anesthetic to reduce the pain.
Food and Exercise for Healthy Liver
|Food and Their Benefits||Exercise and Their Benefits|
|Coffee reduces the risk of liver cancer||Arm raising to prevent stagnant blood.|
|Green tea to improve liver enzyme levels||Simple spinal twists to improve the circulation in abdominal organs.|
|Grapefruit helps to decrease liver inflammation||Exercising lower abdominal muscles to boost circulation in the liver.|
|Blueberries reduce the risk of liver damage||The liver moves to remove stagnant blood.|
|Grapes increase antioxidant levels||Plow pose to strengthen internal organs.|
Causes of Fatty Liver